About the Corcoran Study Collection
The Corcoran Study Collection contains 884 photographs, prints, paintings, and three-dimensional works from the former Corcoran Gallery of Art's collection, and is a resource for interactive learning and research for students and faculty at the George Washington University (GW).
The Corcoran Gallery of Art was established in 1869 by William Wilson Corcoran (1798-1888) and expanded in 1880 to include the Corcoran College of Art and Design. When the Corcoran Gallery of Art closed in 2014, the college and the historic Corcoran Flagg Building were transferred to GW and works from the collection were distributed to museums and institutions in Washington, D.C. As a part of the collection distribution, the Trustees of the Corcoran Gallery of Art also gifted the 884 works now in the Corcoran Study Collection to GW.
The Corcoran Study Collection contains works spanning American, European, and Asian art from the 17th century to the 21st century. Areas of special strength include documentary photography and photojournalism; European prints; American and European painting and sculpture.
Online Collection Access
All works from the Corcoran Study Collection are accessible through the university’s pilot collections website. The pilot site also include highlights from The Textile Museum and the university’s four other collections.
For helpful search tips see Advanced Searching FAQ and How-To.
Class and Research Access
Over 75% of the Corcoran Study Collection is located in the Corcoran Flagg building (500 17th St NW) and is accessible to students, faculty, and researchers at GW and beyond.
Class and research access is by confirmed appointment only. If you are interested in scheduling an appointment, please email Sara Berg ([email protected]).
Questions about the Corcoran Study Collection?
For questions about the Corcoran Study Collection, please contact the registrar and collections manager.
Collections Specialist, Corcoran Study Collection