- Assistant Professor,
Museum Studies Program
- Samson Hall, 3rd Floor, 2036 H Street, NW
- [email protected]
Suse Anderson, Ph.D., is Assistant Professor, Museum Studies at The George Washington University. Prior to joining GW, Anderson was Director of Audience Experience at The Baltimore Museum of Art, where she was responsible for creating a seamless and positive experience of the BMA for visitors to the museum and across its digital platforms. For close to a decade, Anderson’s research and professional focus has been on the intersection of technology and culture, and particularly the impact of digital technologies on the museum.
Since moving to Baltimore in 2014, Anderson has fallen in love with the city she now calls home. You should visit her there one day, or connect with her on Twitter @shineslike.
Dr Anderson is currently working with Dr Keir Winesmith (San Francisco Museum of Modern Art) on a research project that explores the role of digital technology in contemporary art museum practice within Europe, the USA, and Australasia through a series of moderated conversations between museum practitioners, thinkers, and experts in related fields.
She also explores the intersection of technology and culture through her blog, museumgeek.xyz and on the monthly progressive museum podcast, Museopunks (Winner 2014 Best of the Web - Museum Professionals, presented by the American Alliance of Museums).
- Professor Anderson's writing has been published in CURATOR The Museum Journal, Museums and the Web 2013. Selected papers from an International Conference, and other publications.
- Co-Editor of CODE|WORDS Technology and Theory in the Museum–An Experiment in Online Publishing and Discourse
- Chapter published in The Routledge Handbook of Museums and Media, edited by Kirsten Drotner, Vince Dziekan, Ross Parry, and Kim Christian Schrøder, 2018
- Presented at national and international conferences, including plenary or keynote sessions at:
- Museums and the Web
- Museums Australia
- The Museum Computer Network conference
- The PA Museums Association
- Visitor Experience Conference, 2018
- American Alliance of Museums Conference, 2018
BA (Communication-Journalism), Charles Sturt University, Australia
BFA (Hons) 1st class, Faculty Medal, The University of Newcastle, Australia
PhD (Fine Arts), The University of Newcastle, Australia
- President, MCN (Museum Computer Network), on the MCN Board since 2015
- Program Committee for the Museum Computer Group (UK)
- 2015 - 2016: Program Co-Chair for the annual MCN conference
- 2014 - 2015: Jury Chair for the AAM Muse Awards in the categories of Digital Communities (2014), and Podcasts and Audio Tours (2015)
- 2012 - 2015: Served on the Advisory Board for the NMC Horizon Report–Museum Edition
- Served on Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) Review Board
- Served on Advisory Board of the Open Knowledge Foundation Network Australia