- Assistant Professor & Graduate Advisor, Museum Studies
- 2142 G Street, NW, Washington, DC 20052
- [email protected]
Dr. Suse Anderson is Assistant Professor, Museum Studies at The George Washington University and host of Museopunks–the podcast for the progressive museum (presented by the American Alliance of Museums). Prior to joining GW, Anderson was Director of Audience Experience at The Baltimore Museum of Art, where she was responsible for creating a seamless and positive experience of the BMA for visitors to the museum and across its digital platforms.
Since moving to Baltimore in 2014, Anderson has fallen in love with the city she now calls home. You should visit her there one day, or connect with her on Twitter.
For the last decade, Anderson's work and research has focused on the intersection of museums and technology. Her more recent concerns include the ethics of museum practice. She explores on the monthly progressive museum podcast, Museopunks (Winner 2014 Best of the Web - Museum Professionals, presented by the American Alliance of Museums).
- In 2020, Dr. Anderson published her first book, The Digital Future of Museums: Conversations and Provocations, co-authored with Dr Keir Winesmith, which explores the role of digital technology in contemporary art museum practice within Europe, the USA, and Australasia through a series of moderated conversations between museum practitioners, thinkers, and experts in related fields.
- Chapter published in The Routledge Handbook of Museums and Media, edited by Kirsten Drotner, Vince Dziekan, Ross Parry, and Kim Christian Schrøder, 2018
- Co-Editor of CODE|WORDS Technology and Theory in the Museum–An Experiment in Online Publishing and Discourse
- Co-Editor for Humanizing the Digital: Unproceedings from the MCN 2018 conference
- Her writing has also been published in CURATOR The Museum Journal, Museums and the Web 2013. Selected papers from an International Conference, and other publications.
- Presented at national and international conferences, including plenary or keynote sessions at:
- The UNESCO High Level Forum on Museums
- American Alliance of Museums Conference
- Museums and the Web
- Museums Australia
- MCN (Museum Computer Network) conference
- Visitor Experience Conference
- PA Museums Association
- Texas Museums Association
BA (Communication-Journalism), Charles Sturt University, Australia
BFA (Hons) 1st class, Faculty Medal, The University of Newcastle, Australia
PhD (Fine Arts), The University of Newcastle, Australia
Museums and Digital Technology
Museum Ethics and Values
Museum History and Theory
Critical Visitor Experience
Museums and Social Media
- Vice-Chair, Congresswoman Eleanor Norton's Congressional Art Competition Committee
- Program Committee for the Museum Computer Group (UK)
- 2018-2019: Visiting Technologist at the Pew Center for Arts and Heritage (Philadelphia)
- 2018: President, MCN (Museum Computer Network), on the MCN Board since 2015
- 2015 - 2016: Program Co-Chair for the annual MCN conference
- 2014 - 2015: Jury Chair for the AAM Muse Awards in the categories of Digital Communities (2014), and Podcasts and Audio Tours (2015)
- 2012 - 2015: Served on the Advisory Board for the NMC Horizon Report–Museum Edition
- Served on multiple Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) Review Boards
- Served on Advisory Board of the Open Knowledge Foundation Network Australia