Undergraduate Art History Resources & Opportunities
The wide array of Washington’s museums and galleries provide internships for both credit and non-credit. Students have held internships at The Phillips Collection, the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, the National Gallery of Art, Smithsonian American Art Museum, National Museum of African Art and the National Portrait Gallery, among others.
Current Internship Opportunities
- The Phillips Collection
- The Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
- Art Museum of the Americas
- National Gallery of Art
- National Portrait Gallery
- Arlington Arts Center
- The Getty Research Institute
Art History Resources
GENERAL ART HISTORY / MUSEUMS
- American Alliance of Museums: Useful, free job posting forum for variety of careers in museums.
- College Art Association (CAA)
- University of Penn: Useful for finding call for papers.
- Association of Critical Race Art History: Bibliographies provided on African Diaspora/African American, Asian Diaspora/Asian American, Caribbean, Latin American/Latinx/Chicanx, Native American/First Nations/Indigenous.
- Art Hist: Discussion and information forum for art historians.
- Humanities and Social Sciences Net Online: Job postings for academic and museum positions.
- International Council of Museums (ICOM): Graduate students interested in joining must show connection to a museum or be enrolled in museum courses. Membership fee is paid at the beginning of the calendar year, and comes with a card offering worldwide free museum access.
- Southeastern College Art Conference
LOCAL LIBRARIES / ARCHIVES
- Dumbarton Oaks: specifically see News & Events for public symposia, lectures, and programs
- House of the Temple Library for Scottish Rite Freemasonry: A rare, underutilized gem of a library open to the public and located at 1733 16th Street NW at the corner of S Street. Specializes in freemasonry, but has excellent material on the history of the occult, religion, the arts and sciences.
- Library of Congress
- Smithsonian Institution Research System (SIRIS)
- American Antiquarian Society
- American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies (ASECS)
- Archives of American Art
- Association of Historians of American Art: Especially geared to younger scholars, including graduate students.
- AIA-DC Society: Local organization that sponsors lectures, programs, etc.
- American Schools of Oriental Research (ASOR)
- Archaeological Institute of America (AIA)
- ARCE-DC= American Research Center in Egypt-DC Chapter: Local organization that sponsors lectures, programs, etc.
- Biblical Archaeology Forum (BAF): Local organization that sponsors lectures, programs, etc.
- Washington Conservation Guild: For those interested in art & archaeological conservation.
- American Institutes for South Asian Studies: India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh: Offers fellowships and/or language study courses for undergraduate and graduate students.
- American Council for Southern Asian Art (ACSAA): For the study of art of South and Southeast Asia and the Himalayan regions. Good source for fellowships, job postings, and numerous resources on related arts and culture of the region. Email listserv free to public.
- Association for Asian Studies: Focus on pan-Asian studies and topics.
- George Washington University Sigur Center for Asian Studies
- Madison South Asia: Annual conference on South Asia held in Madison, Wisconsin
- Metropolitan Museum of Art Center for Far Eastern Art Studies
- South Asia Summer Language Institute
- Association of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies (ASEEES): Peer-reviewed journal, fellowship opportunities and annual convention.
MEDIEVAL / BYZANTINE ART
- BSANA (Byzantine Studies Association of North America): Offers funding to any graduate student presenting a paper at the annual conference.
- George Washington University Medieval and Early Modern Studies Institute (MEMSI)
- ICMA (International Center of Medieval Art): Offers graduate student essay prizes, travel prizes and a graduate student committee within the larger organization.
TEXTILES / COSTUMES
- Costume Society of America
- Textile Museum at GW: In addition to extensive collection of global textiles, has library of related materials and peer-reviewed journal.
- Textile Society of America