Performance is at the heart of the programs of Music, Theatre and Dance — and sometimes even beyond. Our students in these programs have opportunities to perform with professionals in and outside of the Corcoran to further expand experiences. From roles on-stage and off, you have the chance to share performances and stories with audiences around campus.
All GW students are invited to take dance, music and theatre classes and audition for music ensembles, plays and performances. Check out dates and more information about auditions.
Performance is a key area of study in our Bachelor of Arts in Theatre program. However, many students at GW, both enrolled in the program and not, find opportunities to participate and perform for audiences across campus.
Spring Dance Concert Auditions & Additional Dance Opportunities
Who: All dancers - declared major/minor not required!
What: Auditions for Spring Dance Concert & Dance Opportunities
When: Thursday, January 19, 2023 at 7:00PM; Registration begins at 6:30PM
Where: Dorothy Betts Marvin Theatre, 800 21st St. NW
Come audition to work with next semester's student choreographers, Honors Thesis artists, exciting guest artists, and faculty!
Please arrive in dance clothes and bring your schedule; you will be asked to share your weekly availability for rehearsals. This is the best opportunity to get to know the wonderful Dance Program community and collaborate on a pre-professional level with some of GW's most exciting artists and beyond!
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE: Please complete the AUDITION FORM in full.
If you have any questions, email Concert Director Hayley Cutler. We hope to see you there!
Jazz / Latin Band
Friday, September 2, 2022, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., Room B-120 Phillips -- Walk-in info session 10-11:45, open jam session Noon-2.
For additional info contact [email protected]
Tuesday August 30 and Wednesday August 31, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., B-146 Phillips. For additional meeting times and info contact [email protected]
Thursday, September 1, 2022, 8:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m., B-120 Phillips
Interest meeting for musicians, producers and emcees/vocalists
GW University Singers
Wednesday, Aug 31, 2022 7:15 p.m.-8:15 p.m., B-120 Phillips Hall
Not audition- and invitation to check us out! Also available by appointment-
Musicians who play violin, viola, cello, or string bass are invited to audition for the GWU Orchestra. Open rehearsal followed by string auditions on Monday Aug 29th at 6:30pm in Phillips Hall. View the Orchestra Syllabus for detailed information. There is no formal signup procedure for an audition; simply contact Professor Wood [email protected] to indicate your interest.
GW Woodwind/Brass/Percussion Auditions
All students will be accepted into Symphonic Band after completion of their audition if they choose to enroll.
Wind Ensemble and Orchestra students will be invited to join these groups based on their audition, instrumentation needs, and at the discretion of the Directors.
We will have open rehearsals during our regularly-scheduled rehearsal times for interested students to do some playing and ask questions:
- Monday, Aug 29 2022: Orchestra (6:30-7:15 p.m.)
- Tuesday, Aug 30 2022: Wind Ensemble (3:45-5:00 p.m.), Symphonic Band (5:10-6:25 p.m.), C-Brass (7:10-8:15 p.m.)
- Inform us of your intent:
- If interested in the Bands, fill out our Band Information Form. This form will provide us with the information necessary to keep you informed regarding such things as audition logistics, scheduling, and other important news about the Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band.
- If you are auditioning for the Orchestra, contact Professor Wood [email protected]
- Schedule your audition by using this Sign-up Genius.
- Woodwind/Brass Auditions will be held on Wednesday and Thursday, August 31st and September 1st from 4:00 - 7:00 p.m. each day. Please note the room locations as they are different for each day.
- Percussion auditions will be held Thursday, September 1st from 7:15 pm - 8:30 p.m.
- Access the audition music >
- Students auditioning for Wind Ensemble and Orchestra should perform their chromatic scale across their instruments’ range (instead of what is in the audition music), and have the option to bring an additional short selection of their choosing to further demonstrate their musicianship. (Please note that this is not required.)
- Total audition time is around 4-5 minutes
- There will be practice rooms open and available in Phillips Hall.
- Practice with a metronome: we are listening for good rhythm.
- Practice with a tuner: we are listening for good pitch.
- Practice with your favorite player in mind: we are listening for beautiful sound
The best advice for auditioning is to “be yourself” and “be prepared”. If you can manage to fulfill both those ideals, you will have a wonderful audition.
- Never begin your audition with an apology.
- Demonstrate your ability to communicate musically.
- Maintain a positive appearance even if you do not play well.
- Be yourself
GW has a long tradition of serving performers from all musical backgrounds. Members of the Orchestra, Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band have a wide range of ability and experience levels. We are interested in meeting players at all levels of experience and ability, even those who have never played an audition before. There is a place for all students and we will work hard to make sure that you feel comfortable and relaxed during your audition.
The goal of an audition is to learn about you as a person and as a performer; it is not intended to be stressful or intimidating. The greatest source of anxiety during auditions is a lack of preparation; if you are prepared, you will be a lot less nervous!
The people hearing your audition genuinely want you to succeed. If you have questions about your excerpts (rhythms, notation, etc.), please feel free to contact the directors; we would be happy to help you.
Audition results, including ensemble and chair assignments, will be emailed after auditions have concluded, by Monday, September 5th.
Band results will also be posted on the band bulletin board.
GW maintains an inventory of high-quality instruments for use by students. This is especially useful for performers of the larger (or more expensive) instruments such as tuba, euphonium, and bassoon; however, it is also a great resource for players who relied on high-quality, school-owned instruments while in high school.
Students who need an instrument for auditions should contact Professor Schmitz at [email protected] as soon as possible. An instrument may be temporarily issued for the audition, and then permanently checked-out to those students after enrollment in one of the concert bands.
The GW Instrument Use Fee/Locker rental is $10 per semester ($20 for the Spring and Fall Semesters) and can be paid either in person by check or online using Colonial Cash. In order to initiate payment fill out this form. Please note, Dining Cash is not the same as Colonial Cash. Add Colonial Cash to your account >
Band Schedule (for Orchestra, visit the Orchestra Syllabus)
Rehearsal times for Fall 2022 are as follows:
- Wind EnsembleTR 3:45 - 5:00 p.m.
- Symphonic BandTR 5:10 - 6:25 p.m.
- C-Brass TR7:10 - 8:15 p.m.
The first full class meetings for GW Bands (Wind Ensemble and Symphonic Band) will be Tuesday, September 6th.
The Fall Band concert is scheduled for Saturday, November 12th in Lisner Auditorium.
Band Class Enrollment (for Orchestra, visit the Orchestra Syllabus)
Students participating in our performing ensembles receive one unit of academic credit by enrolling in either 202203_Wind Ensemble_CMUS_1085_10 or 202203_Symphonic Band_CMUS_1083_10.
Additionally, there is a section for each course that allows students with a full academic load to enroll in the ensemble for zero credit. Students that qualify for zero credit courses will be required to pay an $85 fee. It is not necessary to enroll in either course at this time. Once audition results have been announced, members will be given instructions on how to add the class/register.