- Program Head, Interior Architecture; Associate Professor,
Interior Architecture Program
- Flagg Building, Rm. 130 D, 500 17th St. NW, Washington DC 20006
- [email protected]
Stephanie received her Master of Architecture with distinction and Bachelor of Science in Architecture from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. Prior to GW, Stephanie worked as an architect in New York City for renown designer Vicente Wolf. She brings her passion for modern architecture and design to her courses and research; her love of drawing led to her best-selling book, Sketching for Architecture + Design, which has been published in seven languages and is sold in museums around the world (including her favorite, the MoMA, in NYC). She has brought students abroad to study modern architecture in cities such as Paris, London, Copenhagen, Berlin, and Milan. A devoted modernist, Stephanie lives in a mid-century modern house with her family, who support her addiction to modern chairs, minimalism, and all things white.
- White City: Bauhaus Architecture in Tel Aviv: Exploration of modern architecture and the influence of the international style
- D3 Methodology: Define, Draw, Diagram: Using sketching, diagramming, and model-making as tools to analyze modern architecture
- Sketching for Architecture + Interior Design
- Laurence King Publishing Ltd., London (2015)
- also published in French, Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, Chinese, and Russian
- ISBN 987-178067-592-3
- 25 Concepts in Modern Architecture: A Guide for Visual Thinkers
- Bloomsbury Publishing, London (release date fall 2020)
- co-written with C. Anderson
- ISBN 987-135005-560-5
- The International Journal of Architectonic, Spatial, and Enviromental Design, Volume 12, Issue 2 (2018)
"Pure Form: The Interior of the Hirshhorn Museum in Washington DC"
Awarded the Design Principles and Practices International Award for Excellence
- The International Journal of Design Education, Volume 12, Issue 3 (2018)
"Design Process: A Methodology for Ingetrating Studios and Supporting Courses" (co-written with C. Anderson)
- The International Journal of Architectonic, Spatial, and Environmental Design, Volume 9, Issue 3 (2015)
"The Forgotten Memorial: Mies van der Rohe’s Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library in the Nation's Capital"
- The International Journal of Design in Society, Volume 9, Issue 2 (2015)
"Philip Johnson’s Kreeger House: A Synthesis of Home and Museum"
- The International Journal of Design Education, Volume 7, Issue 3 (2014)
"Sketching as a Tool for Seeing: A Method for Teaching Drawing to Architecture and Interior Design Students"
- The International Journal of Design Education, Volume 6, Issue 3 (2013)
"The Design Critique: Faculty to Student, Student to Student, and Student to Self"
- Design Principles and Practices: An International Journal, Volume 5, Issue 6 (2011)
"Conceptual Thinking: Understanding and Emphasizing the Development of the Design Concept
BS Architecture, University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
Master of Architecture (with distinction), University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional (LEED AP)
- Interior Design Educators Council (IDEC)
- International Interior Design Association (IIDA)