- Adjunct Professional Lecturer of Photography
Matt lives in Charlottesville, Virginia with his wife and two daughters, and commutes to D.C. each week to teach courses at The George Washington University. When not teaching, he accepts commissions, organizes exhibitions, prepares monographs for publication, and works on long-form personal projects around America.
Current Research & Exhibitions
Matt is currently engaged in a long-form examination of the American Condition through photographic documentation of microcosms of the American experience. When complete, this project will span a 15-year period. His work is widely published in domestic and international media outlets, and exhibited in festivals, galleries, and museums. In 2017 he has participated in eleven group exhibitions and six solo exhibitions.
Recent exhibitions include In-Out Transylvania Photo Festival (Cluj-Napoca, Romania), James Madison University (Harrisonburg, VA), Ohio University (Athens, OH), Hathaway Gallery (Atlanta, GA), Recontres d'Arles (Arles, France) and many others.
- (2017) VMFA Professional Visual Arts Fellowship
- (2015) Getty Images Grant for Editorial Photography
- (2013) Art Director's Club, Young Guns 11
- (2013) Getty Images Grant for Editorial Photography
- (2012) The Oxford American, New Superstar of Southern Art
- (2011) Aaron Siskind Individual Photographer Fellowship
- (2010) PDN's 30 Emerging Photographers to Watch
- (2009) World Press Photo, Joop Swart Masterclass
- (2008) Alexia Foundation Student Grant
- (2006) College Photographer of the Year, Gold Portfolio
Matt is the author of two monographs of photographs, Carry Me Ohio (Sturm & Drang, 2016) and I Love You, I'm Leaving (Ceiba Editions, 2017). He has three forthcoming monographs scheduled between 2018 and 2020.
Additionally, Matt has been published in, or created commissioned work for AARP, Al Jazeera America, Bloomberg BusinessWeek, BuzzFeed, CNN, Esquire, The FADER, FT Magazine, GEO, GQ, The Guardian, Harper's, Mother Jones, National Geographic, Newsweek, The New Yorker, The New York Times Magazine, Smithsonian, TIME, Virginia Magazine, The Wall Street Journal, WIRED, ZEITmagazin.
BS Photojournalism, Ohio University
MFA Photography, Hartford Art School, International Limited-Residency Program
- National Press Photographer's Association (NPPA)
- Society for Photographic Education (SPE)