2nd Nature Summer Program: The Summer program employs 36 youth ages 14-18 for 6-weeks each summer. The youth are divided into different art or media creative tracks - radio production, visual art, and photography. The program develops young peoples' creative skills while they explore a personal or community issue relevant to the group. In addition to the creative tracks, youth participate in a weekly to share and critique work, learn about exhibition building and explore their creativity. The program has three goals: 1) to enhance young peoples’ social emotional skills 2) to develop young peoples’ creative abilities and 3) to strengthen young peoples’ chances of becoming engaged learners and community members through inquiry and project-based learning. A final public installation and performance is held at the conclusion of the program.
Hours: Monday thru Friday from 9:30am – 3pm Compensation: Travel Stipend ($400)
Orientation & Prep Week June 20-24 Program Dates: June 27th- Aug 5th
Location: 1419 Columbia Rd, Washington D.C 20010
Trip Planning (Seminar) Intern (1 Position)
- Assist with coordinating, prepping and debriefing local field trips (day visits to local national parks, museums, and community explorations.
- Connecting field trip experiences to project theme and creative tracks. Facilitating workshops in conjunction with staff to connect youths’ experiences back to their day-to-day reflection and creation of art and media.
- Documenting and contributing to final presentation/slide show.
- Work closely with Seminar team to link field trips to theme and exhibit building workshops
Exhibition Building Intern (1 Position)
- Assist in planning and facilitating activities for youth to determine a theme and then investigate the theme.
- Help with guiding youth through the exhibition building process and workshop facilitation
- Assisting in creation of theme related workshops; which get youth participants in all the creative tracks thinking about and developing creative work around one theme.
- Work closely with Seminar team and support logistics for trips.
Art and Media Interns (3 Positions: Radio, Photography, Visual Art)
- Assist instructor in facilitation of creative track sessions.
- Assist in leading critiques and exhibition building workshops.
- Assist in bringing the seminar topics concerning the theme and exhibition design into the creative track.
- Documenting the creative process throughout the summer
Radio (Audio Production) Intern
- Assist Radio Instructor with Audio editing instruction
- Preferred Experience: Radio broadcasting, Podcast production, Audio engineering/editing, Adobe Audition, Pro Tools, Audacity
- Assist Photography Instructor with Photography instruction - Proficiency in Spanish a plus
- Preferred Experience: Digital Photography, Adobe Photoshop, Photo Editing
Visual Art Intern
- Assist Visual Art instructor with facilitation
- Preferred Experience: Drawing, painting, graffiti
To Apply: Submit resume to [email protected]