- Associate Professor of Art History
- Room 110
- [email protected]
Alexander Dumbadze is Associate Professor of Art History. He is the author of Bas Jan Ader: Death Is Elsewhere (University of Chicago Press, 2013; paperback 2015) as well as co-editor and co-author of Contemporary Art: 1989 to the Present (Wiley-Blackwell, 2013; Korean translation, 2015). He is currently writing Jack Goldstein: All Day Night Sky. His essays and criticism have been published in a variety of national and international publications. A recipient of a Creative Capital | Warhol Foundation Arts Writers Grant, Dumbadze was a Visiting Professor of Art History at the Université Paris 8 Vincennes – Saint-Denis in 2012. He is also a co-founder and former president of the Society of Contemporary Art Historians. He teaches courses on contemporary art, theory, and historiography.
Professor Dumbadze is currently at work on a book manuscript titled Jack Goldstein: All Day Night Sky.
- 2011: Creative Capital | Warhol Foundation Arts Writers Grant
Recent essays include:
- “Of Passivity and Agency: Jack Goldstein” in Jack Goldstein x 10,000 (Orange County Museum of Art, 2012)
- "Spectacle and Death" in September 11 (MoMA PS1, 2011)
- "Can You Hear the Lights?" in Art, History and the Senses: 1830 to the Present (Ashgate, 2010)
AB in Art History, University of Chicago
MA in Art History, University of Texas at Austin
PhD in Art History, University of Texas at Austin
Founder of both the Society of Contemporary Art Historians and the Contemporary Art Think Tank