During this 12- month internship, the selected candidate will assist in the coordination of the City's We are Takoma cultural series; organizing and staffing various arts and humanities events and playing a key role in the promotion and marketing of the series. Current series offerings include performances, poetry readings, exhibits, film screenings and lectures. Our offices are located in the Takoma Park Community Center, 7500 Maple Avenue – a 10-minute walk from the Takoma Metro Station and on multiple bus lines.
The selected candidate will work an average of 20 hours per week. Pay is between $14 - $17 per hour. The candidate must be able to work special events that may include some evenings and weekends. Applications will be accepted until December 4, 2017. The first screening date will be December 11, 2017.
Qualified candidates must either have graduated with a bachelor's or master’s degree within the past two years, or be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program in arts management or a related field such as public relations, communications or marketing.
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Graphic arts skills, design sensibility and familiarity with Adobe suite
- Facility with a variety of social media platforms including Facebook and Instagram
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office; Word and Excel skills of particular importance
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Self-motivation; ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to lift 25 lbs., climb ladders, and operate hydraulic lift
Responsibilities include, though are not limited to the following:
- Development of material for weekly and monthly electronic and print newsletters
- Creation and distribution of printed promotional posters
- Social media postings; generation of content, creation of graphics or videos, and processing and editing of photographs
- Development, design and production of programs for exhibit and poetry series
- Coordination of scheduled events; verification of arrangements with performers
- Preparation of reception and performance facilities; clean-up and set-up
- Preparation of gallery space; installation of exhibits
- Serve as Production / House Manager for performances; assisting tech crew as needed
- Research and data collection
The following materials must be included with your submission. They can be uploaded under "Documents." Submissions that do not include these documents will not be considered.
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample (maximum length two pages)
- Sample of work illustrative of graphic skills
- Unofficial College Transcript (please note – an official copy must be mailed to the Office of Human Resources once offered the position)
To apply, click here.