The Renwick Gallery is home to the Smithsonian American Art Museum’s collection of contemporary American craft and decorative art. We are seeking volunteers to assist in our upcoming No Spectators: The Art of Burning Manexhibition scheduled to open March 30, 2018. Volunteers will welcome visitors, monitor exhibition traffic flow, and assist with interactive art installations.
Please note: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis beginning January 8, 2018. Applicants will be contacted at that time.
- Help manage visitor traffic flow throughout galleries
- Assist visitor engagement with interactive art installations
- Provide visitors with general information about museum and exhibition
- Assist in exterior line management as needed
- Other related duties as assigned
- Must interact with visitors in a friendly and professional manner
- Must be able to stand for long periods
- Must be able to communicate clearly in noisy, crowded conditions
- Must be able to use a computer to track volunteer work hours
- Must be able to complete Smithsonian background check: Process must be initiated by no later than February 15, 2018 to begin volunteering at the opening of the exhibition. The process will continue on a rolling basis.
Volunteers must have good communication skills; experience with customer service and an interest in art is desired.
- 1 shift per week March 30, 2018 – September 16, 2018.
- Shifts will be 4 hours long from 9:30am – 1:30pm, and 1:15pm – 5:15pm.
No Spectators: The Art of Burning Man opens March 30, 2018. The exhibition will close in two phases. The first floor will close Sept. 16, 2018. The second floor will remain on view through Jan. 21, 2019. We will require volunteers the entire exhibition, but will need fewer after the first floor has closed.
Some flexibility on minimum shift requirements is possible on a case by case basis. Volunteers will have to opportunity to sign up for addition shifts and special events.
Training is tentatively scheduled for mid-March 2018.
VOLUNTEER START TIME:
Exhibition opens March 2018. Applications will then be considered on a rolling basis.
- Discounts at Smithsonian shops and restaurants
- Invitation to staff-only events and programs
- Free entry to participating museums in the area and across the United States
- Opportunity to participate in a unique exhibition
Rebecca Sullesta, Program Assistant, [email protected].
Please put “Exhibition Volunteer” in the title of all emails.