- Professor, Graphic Design
- Flagg Building, Rm. 130 B, 500 17th St. NW, Washington DC 20006
- [email protected]
Mr. Severtson participated in the first international invitational exhibition, Cybernetic Serendipity, of computer-related art and design at the Institute of Contemporary Art in London and in the Art and Technology show at the Museum of Modern Art and Brooklyn Museum. He received a Ford Foundation grant to document and design an exhibition of the work of Kenneth Martin at Yale University Center for British Art.
Between his undergraduate and graduate degrees, Mr. Severtson served in the Peace Corps in Sierra Leone, West Africa, where he worked for the Minister of Culture to establish a National Museum of Art.
His work with the Corcoran has included curatorial work with numerous Design exhibitions, and he is Co-Director of the Design Information Alliance, a non-profit organization established to locate and document information for design research. He directed the Corcoran’s graphic design department for 20 years, and is currently Program Head of Design.
Current Outside Position
In addition to being a designer and design educator with over 30 years of professional experience, Mr. Severtson is owner and co-director of the non-profit organization, designinformationalliance.org, as well as operating his own independent design studio. In 2017 he joined a small group of Returned Peace Corps Volunteers to form a committee to create a Museum of the Peace Corps Experience, where he assists in plans to bring to reality both virtual and physical collections of materials documenting RPCV stories.
Mr. Severtson’s work has been published nationally and internationally in exhibition publications for:
- The Institute of Contemporary Art, London
- Museum of Modern Art
- The Brooklyn Museum
- The Yale Center for British Art
BA in Art & Art History, University of Minnesota
MFA (abd) in Art, University of Chicago
MFA in Design, Yale University
- Owner & Co-director of non-profit organization, designinformationalliance.org
- Design Advisor, Committee for the Museum of the Peace Corps Experience
- National Endowment for the Arts in Design
- Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA)
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Graphic Design Educators Association