- Lecturer in Organ
- Organ Studio
- [email protected]
Dr. Eileen Guenther is the Professor of Church Music at Wesley Theological Seminary and a Lecturer in Music at The George Washington University. After a long tenure as Minister of Music and Liturgy at Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington, DC., Eileen served three terms as president of the American Guild of Organists. Her two critically-acclaimed books are published by MorningStar Music Publishers: Rivals or a Team: Clergy-Musician Relationships in the 21st Century (2012) and In Their Own Words: Slave Life and the Power of Spirituals (2016). Eileen will lead her 9th group of students from Wesley Seminary on an intercultural immersion trip to South Africa this year. In addition to performing in over 250 organ recitals in Europe, South America and the USA, she has also taught at Africa University (Zimbabwe), in Uganda, and Cȏte d’Ivoire.
Current Position and Current Research
- Professor of Church Music: Wesley Theological Seminary
- Guenther specializes in presentations (concerts, lectures, and workshops) in her new book In Their Own Words: Slave Life and the Power of Spirituals.
- Guenther is currently researching music and social justice.
- President, The American Guild of Organists (2008-2014)
- International Organ Recitalist (Over 250 recitals played on several continents)
- Author: Rivals Or A Team? Clergy-Musician Relationships in the 21st Century
- Author: In Their Own Words: Slave Life and the Power of Spirituals
- Numerous articles in a variety of publications
The University of Kansas
The Catholic University of America
- The American Guild of Organists
- Sigma Alpha Iota