- Adjunct Professorial Lecturer of Metalsmithing, Sculpture, & New Technologies
Born in Treviso, Italy, Davide was introduced to the art of metalsmithing by his father, Alessandro, and by the sculptor Toni Benetton. He studied jewelry and metalsmithing at the Institute of Art in Venice. In 2003, he obtained his degree in architecture at IUAV, Venice, Italy.
Davide worked in Italy as architect for several architectural firms, especially with Toni Follina. After meeting his wife in Zimbabwe (during a whitewater kayak trip on the Zambezi river), he moved to USA in 2007. In 2010, he earned his Master of Fine Arts in Sculpture from Fontbonne University, Saint Louis, where he studied under the guidance of Hank Knickmeyer and developed a personal sculptural process, mixing traditional metal casting and new technologies such as 3D printing and laser scanning.
In 2010, Davide moved to Washington DC and started working as professor of Fine Art. Currently he works at the Corcoran School of Art + Design as professor of “Metalsmithing”, “Sculpture” and “Sculpture and New Technologies” and at Catholic University as Director of the Fab Lab and lecturer of digital fabrication.
His work has been shown at national and international venues (Italy, Germany, Czech Republic, England, France and the USA) and his urban scale sculptures are installed in Italy and the USA.
Recently, his work has focused on new technologies such as 3D printing and laser scanning combined with traditional metalsmithing techniques. For his last projects, mathematical equations provided him with a pretext to connect figurative images with a new language, in order to discover what he called "A new forms of shamanism".
Current Outside Position
In addition to teaching, David Prete is the Director of the Fabrication Lab at the Catholic University of America (CUA). Mr. Prete's most recent project was working on a huge 3D printed American flag, involving 5,000 people (see at www.davideprete.com/americanflag).
Currently, he is concentrating on the construction of his new 5,000 square foot studio in Mount Rainier, Maryland.
- 2015: Sculpture for Book award “The Bridge”
- 2013: Finalist at Airport Sculpture Competition, Treviso, Italy.
- 2012: Finalist at IPAR Sculpture Competition, Reston, VA.
- 2011: Selected for Cartazini Award, Paris, France
- 2010: Finalist at “Evansville Indiana Art Project”, Evansville, IN.
- 2010: Semi-finalist in 2010 at “One Good Chair Competition”, Las Vegas.
- 2002-2003: Winner, Award for best design object or element for home decoration in Padua.
- 2001: Winner first prize at International Exposition of Stia.
- 1995: Winner first prize at Art Group Show La Roggia, Treviso, Italy
- 1994: Winner first prize at Biennial of the Art of the Blacksmith at Veroli, Italy
- PBS Craft in America episode “Forge”
- La Tribuna di Treviso, "Si scopre artista inseguendo la green card", 18 Dicembre 2013
- Il mattino di Padova, "Un figlio d'arte da generazioni di fabbri", 18 Dicembre 2013
- La Nuova di Venezia, "Un figlio d'arte da generazioni di fabbri", 18 Dicembre 2013
- Il Mattino delle Alpi, "Un figlio d'arte da generazioni di fabbri", 18 Dicembre 2013
- Salina Journal, Vol. 143, No. 129 (Sculptor Prete embraces traditional metalsmithing)
- Sculpture, September 201, Vol. 30 No. 7
- DENNEWS, June 21 2011, (about sculpture Icarus)
- Times-Courier, 167th Year, no 277, (about sculpture Icarus)
- Courierrpress, 2011 (about Evansville Arena Art Competition)
- Art works published in “The Italian master of Wrought Iron 2”, Ciscato Giuseppe, Alinea Editrice, Florence, Italy, 2008
- Project published in “The Game & Park Industries”, 2008
- La Tribuna di Treviso Oct. 31, 2006 (about the urban sculpture “Luce e Ombra”)
- La Tribuna di Treviso Oct. 24, 2006 (about the urban sculpture “Luce e Ombra”)
- University Project published in the book: “Il ferro Battuto” 2002
- Art Works published in the magazine “Ephaistos” 2002
- University Project “La biblioteca di Babele” published in: “Primi esercizi di composizione, L’architettura degli elementi” F. Franco, Ed. Cartotecnica Veneziana, Venezia, 1996
Bachelor of Architecture, IUAV, Venice
Master of Architecture, IUAV, Venice
MA in Art, Fontbonne University
MFA in Sculpture, Fontbonne University
Diploma Principles - Applications & Implimications of Digital Fabrication, Fab Academy
- Washington Sculpture Group
- Washington Project for the Arts