Admissions FAQs

How do I arrange a campus tour?

Tours of GW’s Foggy Bottom Campus are offered for prospective graduate and professional students three times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) at 12:30 p.m. Led by a current graduate student, tours last approximately one hour and begin at the Admissions Welcome Center in the Marvin Center, 800 21st Street, NW, Washington, DC, 202-994-6602. Register for a campus tour by visiting our event search page and selecting "Campus tours" as the event category. Can’t make it to campus for a visit?  Get the GW experience through our virtual tour!    

How do I apply to the Corcoran School of the Arts and Design?

For information on how to apply for the BFA programs at the Corcoran School, please visit the GW Undergraduate Admissions website.

For information on how to apply for the MFA programs at the Corcoran School, please visit the GW Graduate Admissions website.

Do I need to submit a portfolio to apply?

Yes, students applying for admission to a program in the Corcoran School of the Arts and Design will need to submit a portfolio of 10 to 15 completed works of art as part of the application process. 

Where will my art classes take place?

Students will take most visual art classes in the historic Corcoran building at 500 17th Street, NW, Washington, D.C., just blocks away from GW's Foggy Bottom campus. Other courses will be taken across both the Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campuses.

Where do Corcoran undergraduate students live?

Corcoran students live throughout the GW residential system. Students have a six-semester GW residency requirement during their undergraduate career.

What housing options does GW offer for graduate students?

GW Housing invites graduate students to review a number of different options for on- and -off campus housing.  Graduate students are also encouraged to visit Off Campus Student Affairs within the Center for Student Engagement to learn more about off campus housing options. You may also visit or contact the GW Housing Office:

John Quincy Adams House
2129 Eye Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052
Phone: 202-994-2552| Fax: 202-994-1422

There are also resources to assist in your off-campus housing search:


How do I find out about my Financial Aid Package?

Students who have an interest in applying for financial aid must indicate their intent on the Common Application.  In order to be considered for both Federal and institutional need-based aid, you must submit the CSS Profile and the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).  Students wishing to only be considered for Federal aid need only submit the FAFSA. GW's Office of Student Financial Assistance reviews the family and individual financial circumstances of each admitted student and determines your financial need based on information supplied by the CSS Profile and FAFSA. GW encourages students to submit both forms to ensure they are considered for all available financial aid options.

If you are a current student and your Financial Aid has been awarded but has not yet been credited to your student account, your financial aid status will show on your statement as pending aid prior to the start of the term. Pending aid can include university scholarships, federal or private loans, and university or federal grants. Pending aid allows students to view and pay the amount due for each semester less the amount expected in aid. In cases where the amount of pending aid is equal to or greater than the total amount charged for that semester, no payment is required by the student. To find out more information regarding financial aid, please refer to GW's Student Accounts Office website, or call 202-994-7350.

How do I apply for Veteran’s Benefits? How is it applied to my aid package?

Eligible students should contact the Office of Military and Veteran Student Services for guidance in applying for VA Benefits.

Veteran's Administration (VA) Benefits are applied to the student account as a payment. Students will see a separate line item for each type of benefit received. If the VA Benefits do not cover the account balance in full, the student is responsible for paying the difference by the first day of the semester. For more information regarding Veteran's Benefits, please refer to the Veteran’s Benefits section of the Student Accounts Office.

What resources does GW have for international students?

GW has an office, the International Services Office (ISO), dedicated to supporting international student acclimation to student life and to help with visa and employment questions and issues: you have questions about your visa status or employment issues, be sure to contact the ISO. The ISO may be reached by calling (202) 994-4477 or by emailing You may also visit the ISO office at: Old Main, 1922 F Street, NW, Suite 205.     

I have a disability that affects my academic performance. Is there an office that provides me with accommodations?

GW's Disability Support Services (DSS) office, located in Rome Hall, Suite 102, 801 22nd Street, NW, can assist you. DSS facilitates access to academic accomodations -- note-taking support, test proctoring support (for students who receive extended time as an accommodation), and alternative text production -- as well as housing accommodations and ASL interpreting services. 

To receive access to these accommodations, you must formally register with DSS and, in doing so, provide disability documentation that substantiates a conncection between your disability status, your academic performance, and the accommodations you are requesting. Information about hour to register, including detailed documentation guidelines, is available on the DSS website at